Dental implants can provide patients at Pflugerville Family Dentistry with the smile they always dreamed of. Implants have been used for over 30 years, and continue to be one of the most common restorative procedures used today. As with any dental procedure, there must be maintenance and care done at home to keep your implants looking and feeling great. Maintaining good oral hygiene is essential to the health of the implants.
Implants take approximately four to six months to heal while the bone fuses to the new implant. Our team at Pflugerville Family Dentistry with discuss what at home care routine should be followed, in order to keep your implants looking and feeling great for years to come.
The tissue surrounding the implants should remain pink showing no signs of infection. We recommend following the below guidelines to care for your dental implants at home.
Dental Implant care guidelines:
- Avoid products with stannous fluoride, baking soda, sodium fluoride or stain removers. These types of products can cause damage to the implants by removing the oxide layer. The implants may be prone to corrosion.
- Use a non-abrasive gel or paste while brushing your teeth. This will ensure any exposed surface of the implants is not scratched.
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily to remove any bacteria or plaque with a low abrasive brush such as a soft tooth brush.
- A Waterpik Water Flosser can be used to reduce inflammation and reach difficult areas surrounding the implants.
- If any inflammation is present, rinse teeth with a non-microbial rinse and do not hesitate to call your dentist.
- Floss daily using a wax free type floss, or an implant specific floss. This will help to protect the tissue surrounding the implants.
- Implants should be cared for on a daily basis just like natural teeth. They should be kept free of plaque, and while brushing be sure to reach all sides of the implant. Dental implants are designed to last a long time if they are cared for properly.
Call or email Pflugerville Family Dentistry today to schedule your appointment and learn how dental implants can benefit you.